Tuesday, June 2, 2009

My new toy...

So, we went to San Francisco this weekend. And had a BLAST I might add. Good fun was had visiting with family. However, one thing was lacking. Good pictures. A little background. I have camera issues. I've never had a good camera. Except once. 3 years ago, my aunt gave me her old Canon SLR. And I fell in love. The pictures it took of Nora were (are!) amazing. The prints look great. But that's just the problem. It's 35mm. Which is not cool. Our scanner is great, but it doesn't matter, the scans look horrid. So I don't use it very often, especcially now that I'm all into digital scrapbooking. So I bought a digital camera on eBay for $35. It's been fine, but it's starting to go. There's a reason it was only $35. So, back to San Fran. We took the girls to this children's museum right on the bay. And we had the most AMAZING view of the Golden Gate Bridge. So I took some pictures. The prints from my SLR, they look so good. The pics from my $35 eBay camera, eh. Good, but not great. So I have this problem. And the solution is obvious, buy a digital SLR. But I'm cheap. And dSLRs are expensive. But after this weekend, when I missed out on capturing some of the best pictures I've EVER had the opportunity to take, I decided that enough is enough. So, when we got home, I researched what is a good dSLR for the not-so-serious photographer. Basically, what's going to take great pictures of my kids, and of my vacations. My choice?



The Nikon D40. I bought it for about $400. Which is alot for me to spend on ANYTHING. But I think I got a good deal. And I got it from Amazon, and because I have Amazon Prime, overnight shipping was just $4. So it'll be here on Wednesday!! And I'm selling my old SLR on Craigslist, which will hopefully offset the cost a little. We'll see. And I just want to say, I know it's not a "top-of-the-line" camera, but I trust Nikon to make a good camera, and I don't need a lot of bells and whistles that I honestly have no interest in learning how to use. I have a feeling this will be a good camera for me.

Most of all, I'm excited to use it on our trip across the country!! Finally! A decent camera!! Makes me so happy.

Oh, and I finished all my sewing projects tonight. Dave is TDY, and since I can't sleep well without him anyway, I always stay up wicked late. So, the only project I have left to complete before the move, is that stupid ugly scarf!! I will take pictures of my stupid ugly scarf with my wicked cool new camera!!

2 comments:

Ashley said...

How exCITing!! I don't know much about the Nikon line because I've been a strictly Canon girl for years, but according to Grant's knowledge on the matter, they're pretty great.

Hopefully with your super sweet new camera, that means we'll be seeing more pictures on your blog??? :P I know I'm not the only one dying to see how much Peanut is growing!

Missy said...

So cool!!! I am so jealous. Jason and I have been wanting the Canon digital camera. We have the 35mm and LOVE it but like you said, it is 35mm. My sis bought the digital Canon is taking the most awesome pictures. I can't wait to be able to afford one.
So glad you guys had a good time in San Fran. I hope to be able to spend some time there.