Thursday, March 26, 2009

Michelle is...

Thoughtful? Sober? Tired? Lots of things.



An F22 crashed yesterday at Edwards. The pilot died. I don't think about how dangerous Dave's job is very often, to quote a friend, I just don't go there. But when someone you know dies doing the same job your husband does, it kind of gets to you a bit. Just one more reminder that my husband works in the world's second deadliest job (the first is commercial fishing). I just really feel for the family. My worst fear is having that staff car pull up and men in blue suits get out of it. I've had nightmares about it. Nightmares aren't supposed to come true, but in this case, they did. I can't even imagine. Makes me think about a few lines from "The Right Stuff". I don't know if these were ever actually said, but they kind of sum it up for me...

"They don't spend a g*d-d**ned thing teaching you how to be the fearless wife of a fearless test pilot." -Glennis Yeager

"I went back east to a reunion and all my friends could talk about was their husband's work. How "dog-eat-dog" and cutthroat it was on Madison Ave. Places like that. Cutthroat. I wondered how they would've felt if everytime their husband went in to make a deal, there was a one in four chance he wouldn't come out of that meeting." -Trudy Cooper

This is hitting me kind of hard if you can't tell.

There are other things going on, but they kind of pale in comparison. I'm still uncomfortable, and still two weeks out from having a baby. Everything is on track. Maybe in a few days I'll be back to my old self. Sorry guys.

1 comment:

Anne said...

I'm so sorry to hear about the loss and hard impact on your community there. The pilot's family has been on my mind since last week.